DIY Bottom-Board using 2×4 scrap!
This is one of those projects that is easy and rewarding. Using a single 2×4 you can make 2 and 1/2 bottom boards that look good and are very functional. It takes minimal skill and time to make and can save you some serious cash over making the purchase.
Items you’ll need:
- 2×4 board or scrap (preferably cedar)
- 1×4 board or scrap for landing board (cedar fence planks are cheap!)
- #8 hardware cloth for screened bottom or corrugated campaign sign for solid.
- Nails, wood glue and staples
Here’s a video with the rundown and instructions are also written out below:
- Cut your 2×4 into 24″ sections. If you’ve got a full length 8′ 2×4 then go ahead and cut 4 sections. You might as well make 2 while you’re at it!
- Cut your 1×4 into 14 and 3/4″ sections.
- Set your saw to 3/4 inch wide cut and a blade depth of 1.5″
- Run every 2×4 on edge down the saw blade
- Set your saw to 1.5″ wide cut and a blade depth of 3/4″
- Run the 2×4’s down the saw so that the 3/4″ piece is down and is “cut out” of the board.
- Cut the 3/4″ scrap you just cut out to 14 and 3/4″ just like the 1×4’s you cut earlier
- Lay the pieces out so that the 1×4 and the 3/4″ scrap span across the 2 side pieces (see picture below)
- Square everything up, glue and nail it all together! Turn the 3/4″ scrap so that it is flush with the top of the sideboards. The 1×4″ landing board will sit down below the top edge of the sideboards. This is where your Bees enter the hive!
- Lay out your hardware cloth on the bottom board and trace your pattern. Be sure to leave a around 1″ extra on each side so that the hardware cloth can roll up the side of the board. Alternatively, you can use more of that scrapalong the bottom edges of the side board to give you something to tack to (see video). Also, make sure that you leave enough in the front and back to tack to the 1/4 landing board and the 3/4″ scrap at the back.This is where you’ll tack the hardware cloth to the bottom board.
- Nail, glue and staple it all down.
- Enjoy your finished product!